Friday 23 December 2016

Getting Around

23.12.16: Another One Rides the Bus
Well, time to bed-hop so I took the bus over to Jill and John's to spend a bit of time with my "Little Sis". In between getting on the bus and walking about 150m at the other end, I managed to lose my prescription glasses ******! Much to my relief,  I was able to buy a pair of reading specs in the local chemist's. Phoned the bus company to no avail. "Tant pis", as the French would say.
Weather:
9°, Cloudy

22.12.16: Walk on the Wild Side
Left the comfort of Mum's cosy cottage to walk down to the pub to use the wifi. The village in winter is still pretty but a bit mucky underfoot and of course, gardens look a bit sad at this time of the year. A few houses had outside lights strung in trees with the utmost taste; well this is the Cotswolds, so no tacky Father Christmases clinging on to house fronts here!
Anyway back to the pub, where I found an armchair next to the fire so settled in and ordered up a small white wine. Couldn't believe the price ..... £5.20! Here, I'd have had a half litre for the same money. Still, I made it last for a least an hour and a half while I caught up with emails.
Spent the rest of the day as I did yesterday. The neckwarmer is coming on a pace.
Weather:
8°, blue sky and sun in the morning, cloudy and showery later

21.12.16: On the Road Again
Had a leisurely breakfast and then set off to Mum's in time for a quick coffee at the community café. Had lunch (a tasty stew) in the house so that Mary didn't have to do any more driving than necessary, then spent the afternoon and evening quietly (apart from the clack, clack of my knitting needles) in front of the tv.
Weather:
9°, Showers, Cloudy   

20.12.16 Leaving on a Jet Plane
Left home with Jean and Françoise at 6h30 to get to Figueres bus station for the journey to Barcelona airport with time in hand. Yes, I'm off to UK for the festive season. As it was a 3 hour journey and there weren't any onboard loos, it was prudent enough to keep my liquid intake down to a minimum, so no coffee to kick start the day. Despite these minor irritations, the time passed more quickly than anicipated with arriving directly at the airport being a real boon. There was a three hour wait until take off but that passed well too.
I felt a bit of a wimp with my travel anxieties when a young Korean woman travelling on her own, who turned out to be deaf and mute, asked for directions. I'd love to have had a glimpse of our mimes, one of which involved arm flapping to signal departures! Just imagine having to cope daily with  that level of communication difficulty.
The flight was uneventful and Mary was at airport to meet me for an overnight stay and good catch up chez elle.
Weather:
9°, cloudy

No comments:

Post a Comment