Tuesday 7 July 2020

Back Home

7.7.20: What a Welcome!
Took a taxi from Jill's to the airport and by the time we got there it was tipping down with rain. The carparks were empty, there were few people around and our flight had the lounge to itself. Only 5 flights went out.
The flight, about 2/3 full,  was fine; for once I booked a window seat so didn't have people passing by breathing down on me. Even though masks were to be worn through the flight, Ryanair served cold drinks and snacks! Landed ahead of time in warm sunshine. It was lovely to see Jean and Françoise there waiting for me.
Imagine my surprise when I rounded the corner of the square to find all the neighbours out, clapping. Jacques was playing bagpipe music from his telephone and there was a "welcome home" banner strung across the street. had to hold back a couple of tears, I can tell you.
I was then kidnapped for a soirée on Jacques roof top terrace though not before I'd taken off my gortex boots that I'd travelled to Scotland in back in Feburary. They caused a few laughs but wearing them was the best way to get them back. Jacques had even done duck breast which is my favourite meat; others had brought apéretif nibbles, salad, cheese, fruit salad and little cakes.
It was about midnight when I arrived home; the suitcase stayed downstairs where I'd dumped it, the phone and computer were plugged back in (neither of which was working!) and I just rolled into bed.
Weather:
Wet and windy in UK, warm with sunny blue skies on arrival

No comments:

Post a Comment