Sunday 7 June 2015

Picking up the Threads

7.6.15:,
Another hot day so luckily the patio chez Trudi and Christian, a Swiss couple, was shady and even had a little breeze. Duck, my favourite, was on the menu and we were joined by Annie, their neighbour.
Back home, Barbara called with a lovely hibiscus full of buds from Bee and then came Jean and Françoise making sure that I was ok. then, finally, before going to bed I watered the plants and myself at the same time when the hoze nozzle came off at full blast!
Weather:
32° Sun

6.6.15:
Continuing our Saturday tradition, I went to the market and met up with various folk. In the afternoon, Judith came around to take me over to the bar to join in with its birthday celebrations. The date made a "D" Day theme inevitable. Some people were in costume but for once, I wasn't one of them. It was incredibly hot but good fun.
As if that wasn't enough excitement for one day, Jean-Jacques and I were invited to an Italian restaurant in La Jonquera along with Frankie, a friend of theirs. No sooner than we'd got ourselves settled than the maire, his wife and grand daughter came in and joined us.
Jean-Marie is undergoing treatment so it wasn't a late evening. On crossing the square to go home, I found, Terry, Ann and Trevor in the bar so joined them for a night cap. Do you think that the village will be talking about me? Christian wouldn't disapprove that's for sure. 
Weather:
31° Sun

5.6.15:
An 8.30am start with Jean-Jacques and Jean-Marie who came to help me do our tax return which took less time than I thought.
A day out in Figueres with Penny and Pauline had been on the cards for quite some time and it did me good to have a complete change of scene and some retail therapy. Having lost over 10kg over these last few months, I was in dire need of some new clothes. Had lunch at the Ous d'or, a couple of coffee stops and lots of walking before arriving back in the village around 8pm. Now that's what I call "shop till you drop". Still, there was a reviver in store; before I could make it  home neighbours invited me to join them on the terrace of the bar for a drink and on passing the restaurant when heading for home, some British friends asked me to join them for a glass of wine. Never one, to say "no", I was easily persuaded.
Weather:
29° Sun

4.6.15:
Not one to sit and mope, I busied myself this morning changing over my winter for summer wardrobe. Tiring, methodical work was just what I needed to fill the time. Went over to the bar for a glass of rosé with the language exchangers and some company. I'm determined not to let my sadness back me into a self-pitying corner but instead to carry on with life. It's the way I'll get through; those of you who know me well, know that I don't do weeping and wailing. A wee tear is my limit!
In the evening there was an apéritif for Christian after the weekly meeting of the council to which I was invited. This proved to be the first of many occasions when people raised a glass to Christian's memory.
Weather:
29° Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment