Sunday 14 June 2015

Keeping Good Company

14.6.15:
If you remember, back in March, I was involved with the carnival group. Well, today a BBQ was organised to use some of the money that we won. There were several wary eyes pointed at a menacing  sky which bore out the forecast of storms coming. Fortunately, we had shelter and in any event, the rain held off until we had finished eating. There was nothing much else to do after that but to skuttle home before the skies opened and catch up on a load of phone calls and watch tv. Having eaten more meat in one sitting than I would normally eat over 3 days, there was no need to even think about food. Probably won't want to eat much tomorrow either but as they say, tomorrow is another day and at the moment I'm not doing a lot of planning ahead.
Weather:
25° Sunshine, heavy cloud and rain
 
13.6.15:
Lift to the market with Barbara but came back on the bus having spent a couple of hours in the café with Hortense. It's good to find another like minded woman and who's witty with it. Such a tonic.
Another samba rehearsal in the afternoon but otherwise just pottered at home.
Weather:
23° Some cloud

12.6.15:
Nick came around to help me with Uk tax and then we headed to the bar for a coffee. In the afternoon, there was a rehearsal for the forthcoming Fête de la Musique. I've now joined the ranks of movers and shakers having signed up for the annual appearance of the village samba school. Didn't you always know that I could shake my maracas with the best of 'em? Actually it was good fun and I even discovered that I had more rythme than I'd believed posible.
As if all that wasn't enough, in the evening I went over to Michèle and Henri's with Daniel and Maud for an apéritif dinatoire.
Nope, still not time to go to bed as on returning to the village I stopped in at the restaurant where la Fête de Rosé was in full swing and of course stayed for a glass.
Weather:
23° Rain at the begining of the afternoon

11.6.15:
A pretty busy day starting with the language exchange in the morning followed as usual by a glass of rosé at the bar where I was joined by Martine. In anticipation of the help that she was going to give me with the paperwork, I treated her to lunch at the restaurant.
Nicole came for a cuppa after which it was off to Roger's for drinks  and nibbles in the garden. An all Brit affair apart from 2 Belgians and leg biting mosquitoes.
Weather:
26° Sun and light rain

10.6.15:
Rowena called in for coffee at the end of the morning; it was good to have a face to face catch up rather than chat by email. Snoozed in the afternoon.
Weather:
25° sun, rain and some pretty fierce  thunder and lightening

9.6.15:
Nick, ever the "gentleman", does a run to Leclerc supermarket every Tuesday taking a widowed neighbour with him. I've now been added to the car. Gave the supermarket a miss, going instead to look for some cotton trousers. Didn't find any so have brought out some multi print ones that I bought in Dubai over 10 years ago that I've only ever worn in the house. Funnily enough, they've gone down really well.
On my return, I was invited to join Ann and Lynn at the bar before going on to Michel's for lunch. Martine called in at the end of the afternoon so we forgot the tea and opened the cava.
You're maybe wondering how Stéphane is; well, he's still in hospital but none the wiser as to what has caused the problem. The medics finally gave the green light to tell him about his father as it was becoming impossible to keep avoiding the subject. Not sure if it's really sunk in but at least he wasn't angry to have been kept in the dark.
Weather:
28° sun and some big spots of rain

8.6.15:
Visit to the lawyer after which Maggie who kindly came to pick me up; had coffee together. Penny called around in the afternoon. In the evening there was wine and nibbles chez Jean-Jacques along with Nany and André, Michèle and Henri, Michel, Carmen, Laurent and Samia plus their wee one who'd just been diagnosed with chickenpox. I can tell you, I kept my distance after André (a retired GP) told us that at our age, we could get shingles.
Weather:
31° Warm, thunder, rain, cooler in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment