Thursday 18 June 2015

Slowing Down

18.6.15:
Started the morning with a never ending coffee at the bar as I'd got muddled up with my timing. Today was the commemoration of de Gaulle's call from the BBC in London to resist the Nazis so as is traditional there was a "patriotique cérémonie". Andre's speech had a strong British feel to it and I was really touched to be asked to lay the wreath with him. I can tell you that I had to keep my jaw clenched to stop myself from shedding a tear that Christian was not there to see it. Still, if he had been, I might not have been asked!
An apéretif followed during which I met an itinerant painter who travels around with a donkey. He is having an exhibition in the village for 3 days so I said  I'd go (In the end I never did).  Lunch then beckoned so Michel, Martine, Carmen, Marie-Louise, Francine and myself toddled off to the restaurant for the menu du jour.
At the end of the afternoon, I did an airport run with Nicole to pick up Frank and Valérie and heck, weren't they surprised by the heat that hit them. On returning to the village we headed straight to the bar for a cooling beer. Dinner we had at home.
Weather:
Hot and sunny

17.6.15:
Gave myself permission to stay in bed till midday just doing stuff on the computer. Had an early night too.
Weather:
24°, Sun, cloud, wind
News:
Mass shooting of a church goers by a racist in Charleston

16.6.15:
Was feeling pretty tired this morning and had to cancel my place on the Spanish group's trip for boules and lunch at a restaurant near Roses. Linde came to visit and then I slept. By the afternoon, I'd picked up enough to go and help Lone telephone about computer problems. Also fixed a problem with her oven by setting the clock. Inspired or what? There was no logic behind it. Can't tell you how good it felt to be helping someone for a change
Weather:
24° Sun, cloud, rain

15.6.15:
Highlight of the day was an evening at Jean and Françoise's along with Belgian friends. All very pleasant with lots of laughs. Yet another toast to Christian; it's strange not see him sitting near to me looking up like a rogue to see if I'm watching how full he's filling his glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment