Friday 25 November 2016

Almost there!

25.11.16: Stirfry, Salt and Spinsters
Getting towards the end of the blog catch up; thank goodness. Had a good go this morning before preparing lunch for Rowena who was whizzing through the village between appointments. Hadn't seen her since before the summer. Duck stirfry and a replay of Lone's prunes in red wine. More computer this afternoon before going to Linde's for an apéro.
You may remember that Linde started an Association in the village that sponsored young women in the Democratic Republic of Congo to go to secondary school. Some of them have now left and she's settig up a scheme to buy sacks of salt that can be sold by them in smaller quantities. Well, I think that's the idea but to be quite honest, I don't want to get drawn in as I've neither time nor energy to be involved though I'll probably give her the 25€ needed for a sack.
Jean, Françoise, Christine and Kathy were there too and we talked about anarchists, films, the selection of the republican candidate for the presidential election next year, renovations and nonsense.
Called in at the bar on the way home where the quiz that I'd avoided (had been asked to join 3 different teams) was in full swing. The place was full to bursting with over 60 participants. Too busy and noisy to do other than say my hellos.
Just in case you're interested today is St Catherine's day when it was customary in France for unmarried women to pray for husbands. Those unmarried women over 25 would wear elaborate bonnets; wonder if that was the origin of the millinary extravaganza I wore for the fashion parade! It's said that before a girl reaches 25, she prays: "Donnez-moi, Seigneur, un mari de bon lieu! Qu'il soit doux, opulent, libéral et agréable!" (Lord, give me a well-situated husband. Let him be gentle, rich, generous, and pleasant!") After 25, she prays: "Seigneur, un qui soit supportable, ou qui, parmi le monde, au moins puisse passer!" (Lord, one who's bearable, or who can at least pass as bearable in the world!") And when she's pushing 30: "Un tel qu'il te plaira Seigneur, je m'en contente!" ("Send whatever you want, Lord; I'll take it!"). An English version goes, St Catherine, St Catherine, O lend me thine aid, And grant that I never may die an old maid.
Oh, how things have changed!!!
Weather:
14°, sun

24.11.16: No Way Out
I do wish I'd had my camera with me when I went across the square which is being dug up at the moment as pipework is being replaced. Jacques was standing marooned on a tiny patch of ground, obviously ready to go out, surrounded on all sides by wide trenches!
Otherwise, it was the language exchange that was assailed by the smell of over 800 jars of jam being made downstairs, lunch at the bar with Nicole P, the blog and a good dose of telly. I guess you'll be thinking that I watch a fair bit of tv. Well, I do but I do read too, though in all honesty, nothing too earnest.
Weather:
16°, sun

23.11.16: Remembering Christian
Went into town to the lab to have my nail scrapped for analysis, the woman came to complete my file for the grant, helped sort out the jewellery and accessories that the Association is selling for the Téléthon next week and prepared the apéritif for the new members' welcome drink. Once again we were in Christian's room and I was so pleased when Philippe, the Vice-President, (the President is in hospital) made reference to him and to the appropriateness of the venue when he introduced me. Forgot to take my camera so there's no photo of the 20 or so folk who turned up.
Weather:
18°, rain

22.11.16: Market Mooch
Went with Michel to the food market in Figueres. All followed the usual pattern. Split up to do our shopping and met up for lunch in the café right by the market. Even our main course was the same as usual but being cooler we opted for a squash soup rather than gazpacho. Apart from that nothing out of the ordinary.
Weather:
17° rain but sun in Figueres

21.11.16: Entertaining Friends
Spent a lot of time in front of the computer interspersed with preparing dinner for Lone and Jesper, my Danish friends, Jacques and JJ. Michel had been invited too but didn't make it back from Montpellier in time.
On the menu:
Apéritif with Tapas (so no need to do a starter)
Chicken and Chorizo with 3 grain rice and salad https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/chicken-chorizo-and-potato-stew.html made with red beans rather than potatoes
Cheese
Marmalade Cake with cream augmented by the prunes in red wine brought by Lone
A pleasant evening during which as all was ready to go, I could relax and enjoy the company of my guests.
Weather:
16°, wind and rain all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment