Thursday 30 July 2015

Cooling Down, Slowing Down

31.7.15:
Still not 100% but better than yesterday. Took 2 buses and 45 minutes to go the 4 miles for the lawyer's appointment. Signed a piece of paper which cost me around £300, most of it duty! Slept this afternoon to be revived enough to go to the bar for a musical evening. Joan, who sang at Christian's funeral was the star turn but luck wasn't with us as about an hour in, the skies opened. Fortunately, Thérèse (an unlikely dinner companion) and I had just finished our rather mediocre meal of steak, gravy and pasta. Still, it is ever thus when there is mass catering but we still go to support the event. Left at 10pm to have another early night.
I learned afterwards that Joan had planned to sing Christian's song. Such a shame, the rain put an end to that plan as the concert wa cut short. Though maybe not, as I'm sure to have snivelled!
Weather:
27° Morning sunshine followed by menacing clouds, thunder, lightening and a downpour
 

30.7.15:
Woke up feeling absolutely drained of energy, so instead of going to the language exchange, I snuggled down and went back to sleep until midday. Wandered over to the café to meet up with the usual Thursday suspects and had the plat du jour at the restaurant with Ann, Terry and Annette. Feeling tired, I left as soon as I'd eaten to go home and rest. Called off from drinks at Jean-Jacques too.
Hopefully, taking it easy should enable me to be on form for the meeting with the lawyer tomorrow morning.
Weather:
22°, Cool, cloudy with rain at the end of the afternoon.

29.7.15:
Was going into town to meet Rowena for a coffee and while waiting for the bus Chantal came along and despite protestations, she insisted on giving me a lift. It's not always easy to be independent. Before Rowena arrived, I bumped into Bridget and her friend Colette who works as a tour guide. Interesting woman and as Rowena and Cindy arrived, they moved off. Came back on the bus after a good old catch up.
More music. Françoise invited me this evening to a concert of operatic arias. Quite a few people from the village were there too; it amused Françoise, who is a local, to see that I knew more people than she did!
Afterwards I went back to hers for a drink, nibbles and a catch up with Jean who'd been to a talk on matters scientific.
Weather:
29°

28.7.15:
Had a coffee in the bar with Ann and Lynn and in the afternoon went to a funeral in the church. I'm becoming aware that we're at an age when women are finding themselves on their own and struggling to get to grips with things on a wide front.  I'm asking myself if there's room to have a monthly get-together for "women alone" to share info, advice, contacts, discussion, offer support and find like-minded folk for social activities.
This evening Nicole and I went to the local evening market but weren't tempted to buy anything, contenting ourselves with listening to Hans from the village playing jazz in one of the bars. David and Laura came by and joined us and Lynn and Colin were there too but at another table.
Weather:
27° yesterday, 29° today

No comments:

Post a Comment