Friday 7 October 2016

A Lotta Scots

7.10.16: Happy Wanders and Fine Hosts
Suzanne, who has boundless energy, was desperate for a hike this morning and May who had real sniffles gallantly agreed to join us on or uphill forest walk. She made it to where there was a good view of the village and called it a day while we strode on for an 1h30. So glad that yesterday's was cancelled, she'd have hated it. Have to say that it was invigorating and I enjoyed it. Sun was shining, the birds were singing and the air was clear.  Suzanne is obviouly feeling at home among the heather on this photo and at least she and May got to wear their boots that they carted with them.
Recuperated a recurerated May and had a well deserved coffee at the bar before getting the bus into Céret where we were having lunch with Eamon and Liz who Suzanne is good friends with.
A raucous time was had by all and off course we were well fed by Liz and well watered by Eamon, inspite of which I managed to get them to the bus on time.
Once we'd drawn breath, Suzanne who's a keen gardener wanted to see the garden that I no longer work so I took advantage of two more pairs of hands to take down some sacks of garden greenery for the compost bins. Don't I know just how to give my visitors a good time?
They did get a reward though by way of a couple of glasses of wine at the bar where we fell in with Lone and a friend. A light supper and early to bed finished the day.
Weather:
22°, sun and light cloud

6.10.16: Dodging the Rain
May and Suzanne went off to explore the coast while I went as promised with Ann to a hospital appointment. The storms didn't appear as predicted but they did have a downpour. We, in Perpignan had no rain so were able to window shop and lunch without getting wet. Lunch was in a really nice restaurant with the accent heavily on beef. There were lighter options though and we both enjoyed the menu du jour along with a glass of wine.
http://www.restaurant-le-divil-66.com/ The dining room has lots of character set as it is in weaving/spinning shop dating back to the Middle Ages.
Jean-Jacques stopped by in the evening to help me set up monthly payments for my rates bill as Christian and I had previously but apparently it wasn't possible for this first year. Gulp, whole lot needs paying in one go; and me a poor widder woman!!! Before you reach for your hankies, i hasten to add that I won't be starving as a result.
The least I could do was invite JJ to join us for dinner; so passed another agreeable evening.
Weather:
20°, sun cloud with late afternoon rain

5.10.16: Best Laid Plans
Treadmill again and food preparation for my Scottish visitors. This is the 3rd day that I haven't been out in the village for a coffee and no one's sent out a search party. May and Suzanne arrived from the airport in Carcassonne with time to have a cuppa before this evening's vernissage. They mixed and mingled with the village's finest, including the Maire and some of their compatriots who have holiday homes here. Sorry, forgot to take my camera so no photo.
Françoise came along as we'd planned she'd take Suzanne and May on a hike but sadly the forecast wasn't good tomorrow so it's off. She came back to mine and called up Jean to join us and we drank and had tapas (sounds better and more substantial than nibbles, doesn't it?). Luckily, the refreshments at the expo were relatively substantial too for these kind of affairs. Jean was his usual lively self and the lack of French and English didn't get in the way of us having a load of laughs. When they finally went, it was too late for the cooked meal I'd prepared and offered earlier to all, so we made do with bread and cheese. Hardly the welcome I'd planned.
Weather:
25° sun, cloud later

4.10.16: That's More Like It!
Treadmill then Spanish! You may well gulp! Though from there on in, it was all pleasure. Met Eamon and Liz who are over on holiday, at the Pablo for an apéro and then moved on to Al Catala for lunch in the garden. Went back to the place that they were renting that had views over the mountains supposedly for coffee; it turned out to be champagne (the real stuff, I might add) but who was I to argue! Eamon looks as if he could have come out of a Marcel Pagnol book with that hat.
Even managed to get myself to the bus on time to get back to the village.
What a surprise I had. I bumped into Joséphine who I haven't seen for over a year. Did a bit of catching up and we both expressed intentions of making contact again. Remains to be seen.
Finished the day with a trip to the guitar evening at the bar. Was a bit chilly sitting outside but it did look pretty with all the little lights on the tables.
Weather:
23°, blue skies

3.10.16: Nowt Much Doin'
Took bus to the supermarket to get stuff in for Suzanne and May who are arriving for a couple of days. Pottered in the afternoon before having a cup of tea in Céret with Nicole. None of which is of any interest but if I don't record it, I'll think I've lost a day such is the state of my mental processing at the moment! Though I suppose this tree trunk covered in knitted squares is quite fun.
Weather:
22°, sun and some cloud

2.10.16: Wetting the Baby's Head
Happy news this morning, Jean and Françoise have a granddaughter; their first after 3 boys. Had coffee with the usual Sunday morning suspects and Jean-Jacques joined those of us who stayed for an apéritif. Pushed the boat out with a bottle of cava. Appropraiate really as Gilles who was at the next table to us while we were having lunch treated me to an "affogado" , an Italian dessert of ice cream and hot coffee" which means "drowned". http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/affogato-the-ultimate-simple-dessert/ Mmm, simple but tickles all the taste buds.Back home, I did a bit of this and a bit of that crossing things off my list as I went.
Weather:
23°sun, clouding over to give a light rain shower at the end of the afternoon.

1.10.16: Al Fresco
Went off to the market with Jacques, this morning's chauffeur. Had coffee with Françoise and an impromptu BBQ lunch with Henri and Michèle. A quiet evening but a restless night. Didn't get to sleep until after 3am
Weather:
25°, sun

No comments:

Post a Comment