Monday 15 May 2017

Memory Lane

15.5.17: Glasgow Girls
The rain was back for my trip up to Glasgow to meet those friends with whom I'd worked in Glasgow. Funnily enough, Liz couldn't make it, as she was on holiday not far from here in France!
Maureen was at the bus station to meet me. We wandered through the Buchanan shopping centre down to the (still) upmarket Princes' Square where we had a peek in the Vivienne Westwood shop. We took fright at the prices and admired the style of the young sales assistants then went for a leisurely coffee in the "Cranachan", https://www.cranachancafe.co.uk/
Just in case you don't know, Cranachan is a Scottish dessert made from cream, toasted oats, whisky, raspberries, and honey. Time just flew. Well, it does when you've a lot to catch up with and only 2 hours in which to do it!
Once we'd gone our separate ways, I went on to the "La Lanterna", a traditional Italian restaurant, for lunch with June, Marlene and Suzanne. http://www.lalanterna-glasgow.co.uk/content/gallery
Eating "proper" Italian food was a real treat for me as here abouts all I've ever found is the ubiquitous pizza and uninspired pasta. It brought back memories of many an Italian meal I'd had after work with Bob, my colleague from the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. It was with Bob that I discovered the delights of "Mandarine Napoleon"; not Italian I know, but there's only so much Sambuca that a woman can drink!
Managed to squeeze in a bit of shopping and smiled to see that the traffic cone on top of the Duke of Wellington's head is still there., If it's removed by the Council, it's always replaced. Glaswegians have a great sense of humour and are ready to defend the embellishment of the statue with defiance, protests, petitions  and rallies.
Ann had stayed in bed all day and Nicole had stayed in the house all day as she didn't "dare" to say that she wanted to go out for a walk! She's not as timid underneath it all as this might make her sound so I can't understand where she's coming from. I feel so exasperated at times and this was one of them!
Weather:
Wet

No comments:

Post a Comment