Thursday 3 August 2017

Just About Staying the Course

3.8.17: Don't Ask "How Old?"
What a masochist I am! Instead of pampering myself on my birthday, I went to do my duty at the language exchange and it didn't exactly set the heather alight. Still, I had a trip out to lunch in La Jonquera to look forward to with Yasmin, Nancy and Nicole S.
Temperatures reached 100° today and much to our surprise there were people sitting out on the terrace under heat-trapping parasols at the restaurant instead of enjoying the cool of the air conditioned dining room. It was a simple but pleasant lunch in good company and some lovely earrings came my way too.
Still feeling tired, I had a wee siesta and rest on the bed for a couple of hours until it was time to head over to the bar to heat Lolo and his friend play the night away. JJ, Nancy, Kathy, her goddaughter, Nicole S and I soaked up the atmosphere of the full terrace and appreciative audience while bopping as we sat!
Weather:
38°, sun, stifling heat

2.8.17: Three Little Maids Are They!
Had a more leisurely start this morning and then a leisurely coffee with Nicole P and Nancy. Sadly we said "goodbye" to Jacques, Lisa and Yaneth who are not only on their way back to Paris but also heading off to live in South America. Who knows when they'll be back this way and despite a warm and pressing invitation, I'm not sure I'll make it to see them.
There was even sadder news from Michel who phoned to say that his friend, the village dentist, had died while they were on a cycle ride out in the country. Michel, of course was in bits having struggled for 15 minutes to revive him while awaiting the emergency services.
On a much more mundane subject, the sweep came this afternoon to give my chimney a good clean in readiness for the pellet burning stove.
This evening Jim and Mags hosted a reunion of the group that went to Scotland but I felt so drained that I didn't really enjoy it as much as I should have. Feel tired and flat and I'm wondering if it's because I've let gluten slip back into my diet these last couple of days. Or maybe it's just the heat as temperatures soared to 95°
Weather:
35°, sun and no breeze at all

No comments:

Post a Comment