Thursday 19 May 2016

Traditions, Tax, Twists and Turns

19.5.16: Give me Strength!
Language exchange came around like clockwork and I'm just about running out of patience with James who spouts. Two of other avoid- if - I -can members were there too though fortunately not in my group. They did however come to the bar. As luck would have it, they ended up with the other less interesting people at the far end of the table. Went to the restaurant for lunch  with Ann and Terry and still feeling tired went to bed (yes, a rare occurance for me) and slept.
Once awake, I stayed there reading a Peter Turnbull novel; now there's a name from the past. I used to work with him before he became a full time writer. Though not in the Denise Mina or such like chategory, I was spurred on to read the book having listened to a serialisation of one of his other crime novels on Radio 4 Extra. Oops, I digress .... I stayed in bed until it was time for the Café des Copines to meet.
Despite my fear that it would take ages to decide where to go for a drink, we all readily agreed to follow Nicole V's suggestion. Perhaps, it was because the member who can be difficult wasn't there. Should have known that it was all too easy! When we arrived, the terrace wasn't open and the bar was dingy and smelling of smoke. I thought we were all agreed that it wasn't what we wanted so we came back to the village which we soon learnt didn't please Nicole as we hadn't taken a vote. I was really surprised that she actually stuck with us especially as she doesn't like one of the other members who'd told her off for taking photos of people without asking their permission. Luckily the other person concerned has hearing problems so her very pointed comments about taking a photo of the group went without response. This one was taken by me. If you can make out the faces, can you guess which two are the protagonists? Once again I'm left wondering if it's worth the effort. Just remind me not to have any bright ideas.
Weather:
22° Sunny

18.5.16: "T" Day!
Out of bed for 7am as I needed to put the finishing touches to my tax return before JJ came at 8.30am to check it over.
After the first ouch of putting my foot on the floor, it felt better than it did yesterday. Continuing in sensible mode, rather than think that last night's ice had been enough, I went to the chemist's for an ankle tubigrip and some cream. I was amazed that the chemist told me that I needn't pay for the tubigrip (17€) as I should ask the GP for a prescription the next time that I see her as some or all (if my insurance makes up the difference) could be reinboursed! Now, that is service. Maggie came in as I was doing the Cinderella bit with getting the tubigrip on and took me off for a coffee in the other bar on the main road. I think I've already told you that it's under new management, so with much nicer people behing the counter, it's great to have an alternative.
Soon afterwards I caught the bus into town to deliver my tax return as today's the deadline. Who should I bump into on entering but the woman responsible for the village. She was all smiles; took the envelope frome and gave the papers a cursory glance. I await her phone call! Didn't have to wait an hour for the bus back as I bumped into Chantal from the village who gave me a lift home.
In the afternoon, Muriel, who lives just around the corner gave me a chair massage which was excellent and just what I needed. She has said I'm welcome to go back anytime; think I'll take up her offer the day before Christian's anniversary  or even the morning itself before my usual coffee. 
Early to bed as once again overcome by tiredness.
Weather:
19° Sun, cloud and rain after lunch, continuing through the night.

17.5.16: Footloose and Fancy Free?
Coffee with Nicole P at the bar where her neighbour Odile who happened to pass by joined us. Yet another woman on her own though Nicole doesn't think that the "Café des Copines" would be her thing. Went on the same walk as yesterday so I had hoped I could keep it up. Forlorn hope that turned out to be. I slipped on the last but one stair; bashed my arm bringing a nice big bruise and twisted my foot bringing an even better rainbow coloured one. After the initial shock, I managed to get up and hobble to Spanish and home again. Had to go back out again to show Marie-Andrée Christian's room for the exhibition that she's going to do. We were in the process of finishing a cuppa at the bar when "les anglaises" appeared for our regular apérobio. This time Nicolas set us a challenge to identify the main ingredients in what we were eating. Two of us scored 6.5/7 and two 6/7 so we felt pretty pleased with ourselves. With getting stuck into the quiz, we'd already started the tapas so the photo looks a bit sad. Having said that, they weren't his most inspired apart from the poached egg on a grilled slice of augergine topped with a red wine sauce and shavings of cheese. The brown looking cake is calves' liver and was a bit boring. Felt really tired (result of the fall?) so left once the blokes turned up. Walking had not been one of the wisest things to do  ... result .... a badly swollen foot which I more sensibly packed with ice. That certainly helped.
Weather:
20° Sun clouding over




16.5.16: A bit of folklore
Today's a public holiday (Whit Monday). Had a coffee at the bar as usual and then went for a walk. Came home for a solitary lunch on the patio but the birds were singing and the jsmine was still perfuming the air so there's no need to feel sorry for me.
Did my Spanish homework at not - quite - the - last - minute  ready for tomorrow afternoon and put out the plants that had wintered inside as the "Saints Glaces " were passed.
This article from the Guardian explains better than I could what I'm refering to. http://www.theguardian.com/news/2013/may/10/weatherwatch-cold-may-ice-saints
 Weather:
22° Sun, cloudy later

No comments:

Post a Comment