Thursday 26 November 2015

Feeling like Winter Already

26.11.15:
Didn't want to get up this morning but had to as I was helping Maggie with the language exchange. Of course, there was a trip to the bar afterwards where Ann, Terry, Annette and I finally got to eat our soup and bread.  It came to the table piping hot in a huge two handled pan which was left there for us to just help ourseves. Full of veg, it was so filling that we had to make a real effort to eat the cheese that was part of the 8€ deal. Now we've had our way and got the soup, will be able to get them to do something other than veg soup. French onion, for example or minestrone or chicken noodle? Ann was talking about a plate of beef casserole but new ideas don't take on here as quickly as thar. Next winter's project, perhaps?
Snoozed this afternoon and caught up with "London Spy" which I'm finding pretty hard  to get a sense of. Otherwise, just whiled away the time until it was time to go to bed.
AND ..... the blog is now up to date!
Weather:
11°, icy light rain, strong winds in the evening


25.11.15:
French conversation this morning though it was somewhat one-sided with Françoise, the workshop leader "enlightening" us about a load of different cultural aspects of French life and personal anecdotes! Then in the afternoon went with Maggie to see Michel (no, not the one I often eat with but the husband of the association's treasurer) lying in the funeral palour. I couldn't help but think of the times that he and Christian shared a joke and a good bottle of wine. Did a quick shop at the supermarket and then had a cuppa at the nearby bakery. OK, OK, I hold my hands up; I did have a mini danish but as there were only a couple of bites in it, it hardly counts.
In the evening, there was another fundraiser. So, for the second time in four days I had the pleasure of listening to good music. El Mariners del Canigó who sing Havaneres and Catalan songs who I've written about before were on stage. Even though they're getting on a bit, they still have voices that do justice to the melodies. Sat with Michèle and Henri, drank Punch, ate chocolate brownies, la, la-ed, and waved a paper serviette with the rest of the audience. No, I've not gone gaga; it's called joining in and hoping that no one is looking on laughing at you behaving like an OAP!
After remaining to help tidy up, Nany invited me to stay on and share the champagne that she'd brought to celebrate André's birthday. Came home about 11pm and I finished off the work on the computer I'd started before going out. Got to bed at 2am. This really is a habit that I should break.
Weather:
13°, feeling colder in the wind and the on/off icy drizzle. Brrrh, feels like winter.

24.11.15:
Managed to get up a little earlier today and tidied the drawer stuffed with, paper, bits and bobs. Can't for the life of me think why all that  useless stuff ended up there. Still, I guess every home has one. Coffee as usual at the bar where there was a lot of speculation about why things were being moved out of the hairdressers. Doesn't take much to excite us locals.
This is Canigó in all it's glory taken on my home. 
Spanish this afternoon and a quiet rest of the day with a cup of tea and the last bun. Come again soon, Hortense.
Weather:
12°, sunshine and cloud

23.11.15:
Having read until 2am, I slept longer than usual only to be woken by a call from Hortense who wanted to come over in the afternoon. Went for my usual coffee at the bar and took this photo on the way back. Yes, it is as cold here as it looks as the winds are still quite strong.
Hortense did indeed come; the caht was fun as ever and what topped it off were the "pain aux raisins" that she brought. What a delight; pastries without the guilt. Well, it wasn't me that bought them,, was it?
Weather: 
11° but feeling colder in the wind, sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment