Monday 14 December 2015

Islands of Pleasure in a sea of Ordinariness

14.12.15:
  • Good news: my camera was handed in at the Mairie
  • Bad news: Internet off until 9.30pm so there was no excuse not to do my Spanish homework.
  • Chores at home: Clearing a basket of ironing.
  • Chores at Maggie's: Helping wrap the things we'll be selling as cheap Christmas presents for "Médecins sans Frontière" at the village Christmas market. It's amazing how much better people's unwanted stuff looks wrapped in cellophane tied  with a bit of ribbon. Really boring but needs must. The walk over was pleasant though and this pyracanthus is rather splendid.
  • Welcome distraction: Jean and Françoise's visit at apéritif time
Weather:
15° cloudy

13.12.15:
This morning the two Nicole's and I were joined at the café by Geneviève. The idea is catching on; it wasn't that long ago that I was there by myself. As I was on my way out, Jacques and Mireille invited me to join them for lunch which I did of course. Scurried home about 2.45pm to bake a cake with the over-ripe bananas that were in the fruit bowl. hurried out for 4pm for the Christmas concert in the church. Was really good and over 600€ was raised for the "Restaurant du Coeur". This was followed by an apéritif in the village hall which gave enough courage to go to the Mairie for the count. Anxious times with the National Front making headway. This week they were just beaten in the village but I'm ashamed to say that they came in first in the Département. In the end they didn't win one single Region due primarily to tactical voting. Let's hope that they can be defeated in the Presidentials' when they arrive in 2017.
Weather:
14° Sun and cloud

12.12.15:
As I was given No12 for the streets' Advent calendar, my turn arrived  today so my first job was to open up the envelope. Then went to the market with Michel and finally got around to ordering my glasses. A quick whizz around the supermarket followed and once back home I wrote a whole load of Christmas cards. Sure to have forgotten someone! Well, doesn't everyone?
Weather:
14° Sunshine and cloud

No comments:

Post a Comment